Duomo terrace documents

Documents you may need for your staying in Milan

Getting the documents you need will be probably the most boring time of your staying in Milan, but sooner or later you will have to deal with Italian bureaus and this article is meant to be a vademecum to orientate yourself in the intricate and seemingly never-ending world of Italian bureaucracy.

So, don’t worry: You should find here all the information you need about the Codice Fiscale and the Permesso di Soggiorno, the main documents for your staying in Milan!


The Italian fiscal code, officially known in Italy as Codice Fiscale, is much like the social security number in other countries and identifies a citizen in all dealings with the Italian Public Authorities and Administration.

You are going to need this document if you want to get a job, open a bank account, have an Italian phone number, subscribe to a public transport card and basically, for everything that involves signing a contract.

The Codice Fiscale is free and has to be requested at the Agenzia delle Entrate.

There are six offices in Milan:

  • Via della Moscova 2 (tel. 02 63679.1)
  • Via Ugo Bassi 4 (tel. 02 69716.1)
  • Via Bistolfi 5 (tel. 02 21049.1)
  • Via Abetone 10 (tel. 02 54001.1)
  • Via dei Missaglia 97 (tel. 02 89307.1)
  • Piazza Stuparich 2 (tel. 02 33025.1).

Opening hours for the offices are Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 9:00-13:00; Tuesday and Thursday from 9:00-15:30. However, you should probably call before going there as these hours can sometimes vary. Along with the request, citizens of EU countries must show a valid identification document.

Non-EU citizens will need to bring a valid passport (with Visa if required). A passport is enough if you are from one of the following countries: Andorra, Argentina, Australia, Bolivia, Brazil, Brunei, Canada, Chile, China (only Hong Kong and Macao), Costa Rica, Croatia, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Israel, Japan, Mexico, Monaco, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, San Marino, Singapore, South Korea, USA, Vatican, Venezuela.

For citizens from non-EU countries it can be a bit more complicated, because there is a residence permit (Permesso di Soggiorno) required apart from a passport or a student Visa.



All non-EU citizens must have a Visa for a stay of longer than three months (90 days). Then up to 8 days from your arrival, you must apply for a residence permit (Permesso di Soggiorno) that entitles you to temporarily live in Italy and is necessary for almost any other document you may need.

The first thing you need to do to get this document is head to a post office and pick up a “kit” that consists of two forms. Once you have filled them out, you will need to go to one of the post offices with a “Sportello Amico”. Along with it, you’ll need to have:

  • Your passport (with Visa if required) + a copy of all your passport pages;
  • A € 16,00 revenue stamp (you can buy it at tobacco shops);
  • Documents supporting your request for the type of residence permit you are applying for (i.e. copy of your certificate of enrollment from school/university, of your employment contract, etc.).

You’ll be asked to pay € 107,50 for the application and € 30,00 for the postage. Then you’ll be given a receipt which you’ll need to keep as a proof of your application.

When your application is mailed and processed, you will receive a letter indicating when your appointment is to appear at the Questura (Police station).

There, you must submit:

  • 4 passport-size photos;
  • The letter you received;
  • Your passport + 2 copies of your photo page + 2 copies of your Visa page;
  • Two copies of the documents supporting your request for the type of residence permit you are applying for;
  • The original receipt from the Post office + 2 copies.

At this point you will be fingerprinted and eventually you’ll receive a mail telling you when to return to pickup your Permesso di Soggiorno.

If you are already in Italy and your residence permit is close to its expiry date, you must apply for renewal at least:

  • 90 days before expiry date if your residence permit is valid for 2 years;
  • 60 days before expiry date if your residence permit is valid for 1 year;
  • 30 days before expiry date in all other cases.

Keep in mind that the validity of your residence permit is the same as that indicated on your visa.

If you are an EU citizen or planning to come to Italy for a period not exceeding 3 months you are not required to apply for this document.

Related Articles


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.